Saturday, September 4, 2010

I made it, I did it!


After rejoicing in her accomplishments and with pure excitement on her face, a friend of mine looked over at me and asked, "I mean, 5 years ago, did you ever think you would end up here?" To which I replied, "selling retail and living in someone else's house? No." And yet this is the success that my 27th year has brought. I started this year out living in an unfinished basement with wolf spiders and no job and that is sugar coated. After we had a good laugh about this comment, I reached my arms up to the sky and exclaimed, "I made it! I did it!"

Truth be told I have come a long way. I blank slated this whole year and have ended up happy, with my cat, with a job, in a house. Certainly not under the same circumstances I had envisioned but that's what happens when you move out of the country on a whim and officially hit the reset button on your life. Something something rewrite your own rules and here I am, I made it.

Overall, I guess the feeling that most sticks out from this year is pain. I went through a lot of pain and tears and really really tried hard not to watch the Notebook anymore (I've found that my well being has vastly improved). This pain also taught me how to "just say no to drama" and to have happiness and joy and love at the forefront of all my actions (up and to the point where I started selling retail) and even then I think what a great opportunity to learn patience.

I will classically take a moment to side note, to tell you that : working at my retail slash design job is like jumping into a play pin full of balls. It looks fun, there are a lot of balls, the initial dive into the balls is exciting. And then sometimes it hurts more than it's fun and I wonder how much longer I have to wade through these balls before I can start walking like a normal human being again.

But I digress.

27, I can't really complain. After all the lowest of the lows (*cough* basement) I've landed on top, literally. On top of the west hills. All of the bad things that I went through have somehow managed to smoosh themselves together with the good things. I've championed, I've triumphed, I've pissed off lots of people and I've managed to charm a few. It really took every person in my life to help me get here and for all of you I have nothing but gratitude. I don't know if it was because you really understood what I was going through or you were just tired of hearing me whine allllll the tiiiiimmme, but your words of wisdom moved me, sometimes right out the door.

God, I'm 28 now. What's left to complain about?



No comments:

Post a Comment