Monday, January 18, 2010

I run food...I run - food.


I'm 27 and I'm a food runner. I can tell you honestly I feel like I am living a second life. I got back from Japan and hit a "reset" button. And here I am.

I have just completed my first week as a food runner at the Mcmenamin's Kennedy School. I HAVE NEVER WORKED SO HARD IN MY LIFE. Well, physically anyway. The first day I was sore before my shift was over - I almost quit there right on the spot. How could "I" end up doing such a laborious MINIMUM WAGE job at 27?

As much as I just capslocked, I'm actually enjoying this little jarby of mine. It is sooooo much work to carry trays of food across the entire school to get the food to the bars. And it's not a straight shot and there are several stairs that I have to walk up and down carrying these trays as well. Every muscle in my body is sore, but I have convinced myself that I will be completely in shape by the end of the month. The people that I work with are fantastic and quirky and low key and crazy and best of all, I get to spend all that time in the Kennedy school - one of my favorite places. The shifts go by so fast and when I get a break I get a free meal, no complaints so far.

Let me tally a few things from the first week : I have 2 blisters on my right food, my left foot big toe feels like the nail is going to rip off (from wearing the wrong shoes). I almost dropped a large pizza on a table of elderly people, but they caught it. I did drop 1 mini pizza, but not on anyone. I have fun hanging out with this guy named James in the pizza kitchen. He has shaggy hair and chops but has a decent build. He's funny and sweet, but so are all the guys that work in the kitchen. A great crazy lot. The worst part of this job : just how heavy the trays are, totemo muzikashii (very difficult). The best part : being in the Kennedy School and just how fast the nights go by.

Tomorrow I must call Williams-Sonoma about their In house Interior design position.....must keep pushing for a design job. I've also been inspired after hanging out at my dad's house this morning, to design (and build) a head board...that says "good morning". More to come. I am here in this moment. I am happy to have this life and to get to see where each moment takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment