Tuesday, March 9, 2010

1:16 in the morning.



freeze frame. It's 1:16 in the morning. I know this because I just got a text message.

Not 2 minutes before the text message, I finished the second episode of My So-called life this evening and had decided since it was my "Saturday" I would stay up all night and watch as many episodes as I want.

Then I get a text message. From a boy named Saun.

Saun is a 21 year old server at the Kennedy School. My first thought is, "WHO would be texting me at 1:00 in the morning??!?" Then I think, "awe, it's Saun." Then "oh, I see...who does he think he is texting?"

Then I think, "well, he couldn't seriously want a serious relationship if he is texting me at 1:00 in the a.m. He is only thinking about me in the middle of the night." Then I consider the fact that well, who am I to judge? I am awake. This is my Saturday night. Also, I consider that as a man he might consider this a courageous act. One that took effort.

This is where I go wrong. I give him credit. Note the word credit, as it will come into play in a real relationship some day when I am in a point system. Hold the phone, pun intended, the game is in motion and points are already in play, who am I kidding?

Milliseconds after these Epiphanies I run down my score card to see whose on base at the moment and to do some stats checking.

Saun - 21 year old server at Kennedy School. He asked me out every day last week only to have other plans come up. He did a courtesy call to cancel our real plans and followed up with, "I really do want to see you." No phone call the next day. Other servers at work ask me about him and accuse him of being a flake, but then suggest that I somehow turned Saun down when he tried to make alternative plans with me after his phone call. Now, sending me text messages at 1:16 am.

Brandon - have only made contact with him via gchat moved into texting when I had to change our plans. Sick the first time we made plans (email after the stand up) Found out he had a girlfriend, now he's currently single (or as far as I know) gchatted again to get my phone number.......

Christain - Kim and Adam's friend. Blind date coming over tomorrow for dinner at 6. (Please remember to be home Kyla - my brain has been failing me lately) Supposedly a nice guy and a taurus. Not completely attracted to his photos, but am interested in getting to know him.

Andy - graphic designer I met at the goodfoot. Have plans set up to see each other next Monday. I refer to him as Woogie (from Something about mary) because that's kinda what he looked like last I saw him 3 drinks in at the goodfoot. He is some how interesting to me - perhaps because he's a "grown up". He has a boston terrier, lives alone, works in the pearl and is taking a 2 week vacation in Belize next Wednesday. (pause for me to roll my eyes at how over the whole travel status I am.)

As I run down my list of current potential suitors, I decide not to respond to the text message at 1:16 am. I am worth so much more effort than that. Also, it's really about setting boundaries. Truth be told, I like who I am and where I'm at. I don't need to compromise that. And when I meet that person, I'll know. And it will be worth the ups and downs and mistakes and weirdness of all that is a relationship...and a whole hell of a LOT LESS THOUGHT.


No comments:

Post a Comment