Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Everything I wanted to know, I learned from my cat.

Josie.

Perfect in every way.

Lately, I've been worried about her. Every time I am in her presence she is meowing and cawing me into the room to feed her. That would be normal behavior if I haven't fed her during her feeding time. However, this is maybe just 30 minutes or less from the last time I fed her. She is frantic and wrought with desperation as if she will never get fed again if there is no food in her bowl. No amount of loving or distraction detours her from her mission to put food into the bowl.

Granted she is dealing with new elements in her living conditions.

She is used to being a "snacker". But as of late I have to remove all the left over food in her bowl when she is done "feeding" so Olive the other cat can't eat it (Olive has to eat special food to prevent a urinary tract infection. She is special needs.) Well, when the food goes away, Josie freaks out. She likes to eat several times a day and she has regulated and controlled her food consumption like that for the last 6 years I've had her.

And now, things have changed.

Last night, she was wailing for food. Even after I fed her, waited for her to eat it (which she did hurriedly) and had the door shut so she could snack for as long as she wished. She has learned that no matter what the food will be taken out and not there. It was really starting to get ANNOYING. I was annoyed with her. My baby! I just couldn't figure her out. What happened to the Josie I used to know who would sleep all day and strut with sloth like movements toward her food dish to supplement herself before her next nap? I kept reminding her, "you don't have to eat so fast. There is no reason for you to be freaking out like this all the time. You know that you will be fed. You just ate 10 minutes ago, you are not even hungry. You are just afraid that the food won't be there, but you know food is always going to be there." Suddenly it hit me.

I do the same thing about men and dating.

You know what I mean. You've read these pathetic single antics on my blog. Wailing for a man to come into my life. Where is he? Where is he? Where is he? I sound just like Josie desperate for her food.

Immediately I laughed. Wow. And then I felt still. I felt reassured. I felt content that someday I will meet him. It has been less than a week since my last date for heaven's sake. There is no need to be so in a hurry to find someone. There is always someone new to meet and have fun with. So in the mean time, I will just RELAX and enjoy life leisurely, just like Josie used to, curled up into a ball on the end of my bed, with happy, sleepy eyes, trusting that everything she ever needed would be provided without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment